The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication is committed to creating knowledge and facilitating learning about the production and interpretation of messages. Combining programs that integrate fundamental communication domains, we are uniquely positioned to disseminate knowledge in a world where interpersonal and mediated communication converge. Our objective supports the larger WSU mission of heritage, tradition and service with an emphasis in three areas:
Advance knowledge through the pursuit of quality research that respects and is informed by diverse disciplines, perspectives, and methods and strive to contribute knowledge with both theoretical and practical implications.
Extend knowledge by sharing our expertise and abilities with the broader community through service activities beyond research and instruction. Such activities are exemplified by faculty outreach to various community and industry groups, and by faculty participation in decision making at all levels of the University.
Apply knowledge by seeking an understanding of communication and its role in society, teaching that understanding in the classroom and beyond, and applying our knowledge in the broader community
The program provides a comprehensive set of graduate courses aimed at working professionals and adult learners who seek to become effective and ethical communicators on behalf of individuals and institutions, and who honor the legacy of Edward R. Murrow in the service of just and democratic societies.
- Our innovative digital curriculum ensures our students gain an unprecedented level of digital media literacy and practical knowledge.
- Our faculty, researchers, and student share a deep commitment to the development of pioneering new media and strategies to serve the communication needs of the 21st century.
- We have reputation for producing highly skilled, industry savvy, job-ready graduates with a strong work ethic and professional competency.
- The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication is where future communication practitioners, researchers and scholars collaborate with world-class engaged faculty on transformative research and innovative application at the intersection of media, culture and communication.
- The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication is home to award-winning journalists, experienced communication professionals and world-class media scholars.
- The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication delivers a transformative learning experience grounded in time-tested communication principles, which are applied through focused, goal-driven collaborations to develop real-world solutions.
- Graduates of The Edward R. Murrow College of Communication are innovative communicators and collaborators, who have sophisticated worldview grounded in a strong sense of ethics and cultural awareness.
Edward R. Murrow is a recognized broadcast pioneer and innovator whose name is synonymous with excellence in journalism. He is credited with establishing the ethical and qualitative standards to which modern broadcast professionals still aspire. Today, Murrow’s independent spirit and talent for exceptional storytelling live on in the college that bears his name. His values of responsibility, accuracy and integrity are reflected in the works of our students, faculty, and staff as they push the boundaries of modern media and help shape the future of communication.